Friday, July 16, 2010

*Into The Great Wide Open*



From time to time, I like to take inventory of my life. I look around, behind, and in front of, my current self.

I take stock of the lessons I have learned, the love I have given, received, and all of the hearts who have I not only touched, but that have touched mine, as well.

I wish I could say everything was always perfect. That all of the hearts in my life were true. That honesty is like a disease and is contagious. That people choose to be understanding of one another…But I always take comfort in knowing that I am always true to myself and others as much as humanly possible.

That makes reality’s kiss a bit more sweet.

Tonight.

This night, as I look back, I see triumph. Pure, unadulterated, colossal triumph.

Like it were yesterday…
College - My one true drug. 8 years wondering around inside of the beautiful land of academia. 4.0

Singing in front of a million different people, writing, rhyming.

Walking into a new recording studio, smelling that strong and unstoppable scent of hope and determination. Traveling to shows and recording the same song a million times over. Singing along to familiar songs, and surrounding myself with words. Sometimes, too many.

Next, I look back as I meander through the unknown. Distractions flooded my world. I needed distractions then. Surrounding myself with people I couldn’t understand. People with ideals so foreign to my own that I was fascinated by their existence. I needed this. Wanted this. It was the very thing that would carry me from one chapter to the next…and it worked…Living on Coffee, Danishes, and dreams as they lived on debauchery, at best. It was my one true motivation. Watching them as they let it all just slip away…

And one day, a new city was found. Airports, more annoying than foreign. “The window seat, thank you”. Running to catch the train until my legs literally felt that they would fail me. Falling asleep on the ride home from Penn Station. Buying fruit from a sidewalk vendor and then inadvertently walking into a gay bar with my best friend carrying a bag of very large bananas. In true Adrienne fashion, “How do I get myself into these things?” seemed to be the question of the hour!

Going to weddings, bot mitzvahs, watching the DJ spin, promotional work for WBAB, Having my mail delivered to the Studio because Steven is such a perfectionist that he had to tweak each song five hundred and eleven times, visiting my friends in NC with a new take on life, watching my friends marry, start families, and take on amazing careers, fireworks blasting on the fourth of July while Steven dedicated and sang Crash by Dave Matthews, to me...And CHRISTMAS in the City. So magical.

I suppose as I look around myself now…this very second…this very night…

Wow.

And it has only just begun.


No comments: